This is an improvement award that helps paddlers develop fundamental paddlesport skills on flat water. The emphasis is on gaining a breadth of experience, creating the desired movement of the boat and developing an understanding into how the paddle, boat and water interact.
The award is obtained by taking the assessment in both a kayak and a canoe. Any style of kayak or canoe is permissible e.g. open cockpit, sit on top, V shaped hull or flat bottomed etc. Where a doubles crew takes the test, each person must perform each task from both the bow and stern.
- Candidates must be able to swim 25 metres wearing a Buoyancy Aid.
- As a BC Course – up to date BC membership is required
- Have experience of paddling two different craft:
- e.g. surf kayak, closed cockpit kayak, open cockpit kayak, closed cockpit canoe, single open cockpit canoe, racing boat, tandem open cockpit canoe, wave ski, sit on top, flat hulled boat, v-shaped hull, slalom boat, polo boat or sea kayak.
IN 2 different locations e.g. Canal, river, lake/loch, or sea, (different parts of large bodies of water will count as 2 locations)
AND 2 local competitions e.g. Club events, slalom, polo, sprint, freestyle, Bell boats etc.
OR 2 Journeys – Any journey of 2 hour + duration
- Lift, Carry and Launch canoe & kayak
- Efficient forward paddling
- Steering the canoe or kayak
- Moving sideways
- Preventing a capsize
- Return to the bank and get out
- Capsize, swim & self rescue
- Peer rescue
- Personal risk management
- Awareness of others
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 14 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Moderate
- Cost - £80 PP
- Difficulty – Easy to Moderate
- Start time – 9am
- Duration – Full Day
- Location - River Wye, Symonds Yat West.
What we provide:
- Spray decks
- Wet Suits (If requested)
- Buoyancy Aids