Bushcraft with Wye Canoes – Survive & Thrive in the Great Outdoors.
Bushcraft not only teaches valuable survival techniques but goes further and is about how to thrive in the great outdoors, sustainability and how to live off the land, its surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of ancient skills and knowledge to do so. Bushcraft skills include; firecraft, tracking, hunting, fishing, shelter building, the use of tools such as knives and axes, foraging, hand-carving wood, container construction from natural materials, rope and twine-making. We are perfectly located in the Forest of Dean on the River Wye and our bushcraft survival courses are tailored towards those who want to learn how to make the best of the tools and resources to hand, many of these techniques are taught to the military and have been used all around the world. Our courses are great for individuals or for groups alike and very popular team building events.
Your day starts by meeting your instructor in the forest before jumping in our Landrover and off to our secret location on the Great Doward an area steeped in history and myth. We suggest you bring a packed lunch and we will provide pleanty of tea and coffee during the day. You don't really need to bring anything with you but if you have any knives or KIT you are welcome to bring it along. Our full day session generally includes; fire starting, shelter building, knives and axes, foraging, cordage and whatever else you specifically would like to cover or have time to. We can include game prep and cooking if you would like and can provide lunch at extra cost.
Bushcraft / Survival techniques taught include:
- Fire Starting – from bow drills and fire steels to military techniques
- Shelter Building – from basha’s and bivvis to leaf and woodland.
- Knives and Axes – What makes a good survival knife and how to use it safely.
- Foraging – What’s good to eat and all around us, and what you should avoid.
- Water capture – how to find and collect water, and how to make it safe to use.
- Food Procurement & Preparation – Traps, snares and how to cook your catch.
We have so many options that we are bound to have something to suit everyone’s tastes.
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 10 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Low
- Cost - £65 PP
- Difficulty – Easy to Moderate
- Start time – 9am
- Duration – Full Day
- Location - Great Doward, Forest of Dean, Herefordshire.
What we provide:
- Fire Steels