This award is a stepping stone to becoming a paddler. A basic award the one star is typically the level reached after a solid day of coaching by one of highly experienced instructors.
The award is obtained by taking the assessment in either a kayak or a canoe, or even as a pair, where a doubles crew takes the test; each person must perform each task from both the bow and stern.
- Candidates must be able to swim 25 metres wearing a Buoyancy Aid.
- Be 14 or over
- As a BC Course – up to date BC membership is required
- Lift, Carry and Launch canoe & kayak
- Efficient forward paddling over 100m
- Steering and controlling
- Moving sideways
- Return to the bank and get out
- Capsize and rescue drills
- Emptying boats
- Personal risk management
- Awareness of others
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 14 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Moderate
- Cost - £80 PP
- Difficulty – Easy to Moderate
- Start time – 9am
- Duration – Full Day
- Location - River Wye, Symonds Yat West.
What we provide:
- Spray decks
- Wet Suits (If requested)
- Buoyancy Aids