Take your first steps on the Paddlesport Coaching pathway...
The Paddlesport Instructor Course (PSI) is the qualification used by outdoor centres like us and other organisations and clubs to support their activity delivery. It doesn’t matter if you Canoe, Kayak, Sit on Top Kayak, Stand Up Paddleboard, this course allows you to develop your existing skills and passion for paddlesport. The course is over 2 days and, we supply everything you need including, boats, boards, wetsuits and awesome course tutors, and the courses are held on Mallards Pike Lake in the Forest of Dean which has changing rooms and a coffee shop.
- Do you want to have fun?
- Like to spend time on the water?
- With likeminded people?
- Do you want to introduce people from all walks of life to paddlesport by running fun, engaging taster and starter sessions?
If so your pathway to becoming a Paddlesport Instructor starts here.
- It’s your journey, our highly experienced tutors are trained to support you throughout this practical course.
- Your course will support you to run games, activities to support learning and inspire adventure for new paddlers.
- This qualification is open to everyone over 14 years of age!
The Course Covers:
- How to effectively prepare a group for an activity (e.g. kitting up and getting afloat);
- Together you will play with a range of activities to engage the group (e.g. games, tasks and journeys);
- You will explore a range of motivating activities and games that support learning;
- The tutors will support you to plan ways of using mini journeys to inspire adventure and exploration;
- You will develop ideas that allow you to help participants learn basic skills;
- Our tutors will share top tips and quick fixes for common challenges to accelerate learning;
- You will investigate how to select suitable equipment for participants;
- You will explore methods of maintaining participants’ safety and develop your understanding of deployment matters.
There will be opportunities to develop and progress your own paddling skills and meet likeminded people during the course, many of our course candidates develop long lasting friendships, connections and contacts.
- You can read the full course guide here: Paddlesport Instructor Course Guide
- You access a sample programme here: Paddlesport Instructor Sample Programme
- You access an editable version of the Course Learner Development Pack here: Learner Development Pack
Registered Paddlesport Instructor Learners get a range of free resources to support their learning, before, during and after the course. This includes free access to the British Canoeing Awarding Body Instructor eLearning Click here, This supportive eLearning package is made up of 9 topics, along with a knowledge audit which will help you understand areas you may need to develop further.
The modules cover
- Coaching philosophy
- Boats and Paddles
- Health and Safety
- Group and Session Management
- Meeting Athlete Needs
- Coaching to support
- Fundamental Skills
- Performance Models
You can earn 20 CPD points by completing this eLearning. These will be added to your National Association record after completion.
The eLearning is £40 for non-members, £20 for National Association members (Full/ On the water or equivalent). The eLearning is free for learners registered for the Paddlesport or SUP Instructor Award (as long as your membership is valid)
On the water membership is required and also course registration, these are done by participants directly through British Canoeing.
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 14
- Fitness Level – Moderate
- Cost - £220 PP
- Difficulty – Easy to Moderate
- Start time – 9am
- Finish time - 5pm
- Duration – 2 Days
- Location - Mallards Pike Lake, Forest of Dean
What we provide:
- Spray decks
- Wet Suits (if requested)
- Buoyancy Aids