The British Canoeing Awarding Body White Water Safety and Rescue Training is designed for all paddlers operating in the white water environment. It aims to teach simple and practical safety and rescue skills that can be applied appropriately to a moderate white water environment.
You will be spending quite a lot of the time in the water, so a drysuit or equivalent is a must.
Core Skills Covered
Using a range of simulated scenarios, this Training course teaches safe paddling strategies. The majority of the content is delivered by hands-on, practical sessions supported by short riverside periods covering the theoretical content.
The objective is:
- To improve individuals awareness of safety skills in the river environment
- To teach personal survival skills
- To teach basic throw line rescue techniques
- To understand the need for structure in an emergency situation
- To outline basic rescue protocols that prioritise the safety of the individual above all others
- To introduce and develop the ‘clean rope’ principle
Pre-requisites: Due to the paddling environment and the boat control required, each candidate must be:
- Confident in their ability to paddle on Grade 2/3 water
- Be confident in swimming in normal canoe clothing suitable for a moving water environment
- A first aid certificate is not a pre-requisite; however the holding of a first aid certificate is strongly recommended for all paddlers
- Be of a minimum age of 14 years
- As a BC Course – up to date BC membership is required
Equipment: Although we can provide canoes / kayaks and paddles if required, the following is a list of recommended equipment required for the participant in this course to have.
- White Water Buoyancy Aid
- Dry Kit – either dry trousers and top or dry suit – a wetsuit can be worn with cags over the top but bear in mind you will be in the water for 80% of the course and a lot of people have had to quit the course due to inappropriate dress and getting too cold.
- Decent footwear for the conditions
- Warm Base Layers
- Lunch and Warm Flask
- A sling or length of tape 3-5mtr long
- A throwline 15mtr min
- 1 Screw gate karabiner and one snap gate
- River Knife
- Towel and Warm Clothes for after
2 Day Course
- Location – River Usk (Brecon)
- Excellent local accommodation, you will find our recommendations here.
- Only £190 pp
Attendance certificates are issued to successful candidates by their Delivery Centre following a recommendation from the course provider.
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 14 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Moderate
- Cost - £190 PP
- Difficulty – Moderate
- Start time – 9am
- Duration – 2 Days
- Location - River Usk, Brecon, Wales
What we provide:
- Boats (Canoes/Kayaks/SUP's)
- Spray decks
- Wet Suits (If requested)
- Buoyancy Aids