This two day course is great fun and ideal for those who are proposing to paddle white water on a regular basis in any boat, canoe, kayak or even SUP. You will be going through various throwline techniques and spend quite a lot of the time in the water, so a drysuit or wetsuit is a must. Day two will be more scenario based and you will get the chance to lead a group as a guide and your first aid skills will be put to the test too. The two day course is excellent fun and a sense of achievement is guaranteed.
This training is required for anyone seeking to advance to a 4 Star Leader award.
The objective is:
- To improve individuals awareness of safety skills in the river environment
- To teach personal survival skills
- To teach basic throw line rescue techniques
- To understand the need for structure in an emergency situation
- To outline basic rescue protocols that prioritise the safety of the individual above all others
- To introduce and develop the ‘clean rope’ principle
Pre-requisites: Due to the paddling environment and the boat control required, each candidate must be:
- Confident in their ability to paddle on Grade 2 water
- Be confident in swimming in normal canoe clothing suitable for a moving water environment
- A first aid certificate is not a pre-requisite; however the holding of a first aid certificate is strongly recommended for all paddlers
- Be of a minimum age of 16 years
- As a BC Course – up to date BC membership is required
Equipment: Although we can provide canoes / kayaks and paddles if required, the following is a list of recommended equipment required for the participant in this course to have.
- White Water Buoyancy Aid
- Dry Kit – either dry trousers and top or dry suit – a wetsuit can be worn with cags over the top but bear in mind you will be in the water for 80% of the course and a lot of people have had to quit the course due to inappropriate dress and getting too cold.
- Decent footwear for the conditions
- Warm Base Layers
- Lunch and Warm Flask
- A sling or length of tape 3-5mtr long
- A throwline 15mtr min
- 1 Screw gate karabiner and one snap gate
- River Knife
- Towel and Warm Clothes for after
2 Day Course
- Location – River Usk
- Excellent local accommodation, you will find our recommendations here.
- Only £150pp for a 2 Day Course & Certificate!
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 14 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Moderate
- Cost - £150 PP
- Difficulty – Moderate
- Start time – 9am
- Duration – 2 Days
- Location - River Usk, Brecon, Wales
What we provide:
- Boats (Canoes or Kayaks)
- Spray decks
- Wet Suits (If requested)
- Buoyancy Aids