A real adventure, the Wye Valley at its best!
Canoeing and Bushcraft go hand in hand and to be able to experience the this in the Wye Valley is an opportunity not to be missed. We are based at the heart of the Wye Valley in the beautiful Symonds Yat, so we are in the perfect location to take advantage of this amazing area. If you are looking for something similar without the Bushcraft element then why not try our Canoe and Bivvy Weekends.
Your Two Day Adventure begins 12 miles up river of the market town of Ross on Wye at Hoarwithy ,we kit you out with everything you need before you take to the water and paddle down river with your Local Guide taking in the stunning scenery.
The river meanders through meadows and tree lined hills past Ross on Wye where you can stop for lunch at one of the riverside Inns, then it’s back on the water and now you are learning how to control your boat, you will pick it up quite quickly with a bit of help from your Guide, you will get into the rhythm of the water and the magic of the canoe as you glide through the beautiful surroundings through small rapids and onto your stop for the night near the 12 century Goodrich Castle and our private wild camp site just above Kerne Bridge.
After reaching your overnight stop your Bushcraft Instructor takes over for a relaxed 2/3 hour bushcraft session which will include putting together your shelter for the night whether that be tent, bivouac or forest shelter, we will teach you that essentially all you need for shelter is your canoe, your paddles and a basha (tarp). Now you can relax and start to prepare your food for the evening before cooking that over the open fire. Your overnight stop is a beautiful place, peregrine falcons soar above you while wild deer and wild boar roam the landscape all around you.
There is nothing like waking up in the outdoors, especially when it’s a fantastic spot like the Wye Gorge. After a bit of breakfast there is another few hours of bushcraft before you break camp and continue your journey now towards Symonds Yat West and where you exit the river.
If you have previous experience of paddling canadian canoes solo then we are more than happy for you to come alone, but if you are new to the paddling scene you will enjoy the weekend far more as a tandem pair in canoe.
The Wye Valley is a stunning place to be at any time but accompanied by your guide and bushcraft instructor you are going to get the best of all worlds and will have a weekend not to forget!
- Highly Experienced Canoe & Bushcraft Instructors
- Excellent modern Canadian Canoes
- Dry Bags & Barrels to keep your kit safe
- Bushcraft knives and fire starting equipment
- Bivvy Bags, Sleeping mats and Bashas
- Cooking Equipment
- Everything provided to make a your Wild Weekend in the Wye Valley
- Food in the form of a stew on the Saturday night (veggie friendly)
Activity Information Facts:
- Minimum Age – 7 Years Old
- Fitness Level – Low
- Difficulty – Easy
- Start time – 9am – Day One
- Duration – Canoeing 4.5 hours Day One, 4 hours Day 2
- Duration – Bushcraft 2.5 hours Day One, 2.5 hours Day 2
- Time of Year – All Year Round
- Location - River Wye, Herefordshire
- Finish Time – 4pm – Day Two
What we provide:
- Barrels to keep your KIT dry (60 ltrs)
- Buoyancy Aids
- Fire Steels
- Bivvy equipment (tarps, bashas etc)